AngloGold Ashanti is an independent, global gold mining company with a diverse, high-quality portfolio of operations, projects and exploration activities across ten countries on four continents. While gold is our principal product, we also produce silver (Argentina) and sulphuric acid (Brazil) as by-products and will pursue value-creating opportunities in other minerals where we can leverage our existing assets, skills and experience to enhance value creation.
ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI AT A GLANCE
• Third largest gold producer globally and the largest on the African continent, producing 3.3Moz and employing 34,263 people in 2019
• Leading responsible gold miner in meaningful partnership with host communities and government – we aim to create valuable outcomes for stakeholders over the long term
• Listed on four stock exchanges around the world – the Johannesburg, New York, Australian and Ghana exchanges – and included in the JSE Top 40 Index, FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series (of the FTSE4Good Index), Responsible Mining Index and the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (now part of S&P Global Inc) and the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index
• A geographically diverse shareholder base includes some of the world’s largest financial institutions
• Market capitalisation of $9.28bn as at 31 December 2019
• Obuasi redevelopment achieved first gold pour in December 2019
• Sale of South African assets completed in September 2020
• Morila in Mali sold in November 2020
• Sadiola in Mali sold in December 2020
Our strategy and investment case
Focusing on the strategic areas of the company
AngloGold Ashanti’s core strategic focus is to generate sustainable cash flow improvements and shareholder returns by focusing on five key areas, namely:
- People are the foundation of our business. Our business must operate according to our values if it is to remain sustainable in the long term.
- We must ensure our balance sheet always remains able to meet our core funding needs.
- All spending decisions must be thoroughly scrutinised to ensure they are optimally structured and necessary to fulfil our core business objective.
- We have a portfolio of assets that must be actively managed to improve the overall mix of our production base as we strive for a competitive valuation as a business.
- While we are focused on ensuring the most efficient day-to-day operation of our business, we must keep a close eye on creating a competitive pipeline of long-term opportunities.
These focus areas drive our plans for inward investment, to deliver better quality production aimed at increasing margins, extending mine lives and shaping the portfolio in the longer term.
To create value for our shareholders, our employees and our business and social partners through safely and responsibly exploring, mining and marketing our products. Our primary focus is gold, but we will pursue value creating opportunities in other minerals where we can leverage our existing assets, skills and experience to enhance the delivery of value.
To be the leading mining company.
At AngloGold Ashanti we are committed to protecting our reputation and integrity as a responsible employer. We conduct employment screening checks in an effort to make more informed decisions about the people we hire.
The type of employment screening checks are determined by the role and location and may include identity, eligibility to work, qualifications, references and employment medicals. Additional checks including credit and criminal records are required for roles which pose greater legal, financial and reputational risk.